Saturday, July 26, 2008

Terrorists in Canada

I bought the book, The Lightning File, by Eric Wright, because I know the author personally and have enjoyed reading his non-fiction books. I was pleasantly surprised at his first attempt at fiction. I read it in 24 hours. I know that a lot of work goes into writing a novel, but the fact that I couldn't put it down was meant as a compliment. It is fast-paced, intriguing and intricate. You wonder if they'll be able to foil the terrorist plot and make the connection to drug-money laundering. Josh needs to break a code to solve the mystery. His marriage problems and the femme fatale with whom he has a mutual attraction play into the story as well. The fact that it's set in Toronto with familiar landmarks makes it more interesting. The potential and actual terrorist scenarios he proposes in the book seem plausible and terrifying. His research of Welland Canal and the Darlington Nuclear Plant is well done. I'm sure 'someone' else has already considered these things as well.

No comments: