Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Upcoming Federal Election

I'm a little frustrated living in my riding. I always vote Conservative, but it has been solidly Liberal for years, as are many ridings in Toronto. So in a way, it's a wasted vote. However, I remain optimistic that maybe this time, the winds of change will blow and this will be one of the ridings that the Conservatives steal away to win a Majority. I personally have always liked the Liberal candidate who always wins our riding. It's one of those situations where you like the candidate but not the party. His name is John McKay and he was actually a dissenter when his party was planning to change the definition of marriage to allow same sex "marriage". I read the copy of his speech in the House and he was quite articulate and reasonable. Unfortunately, they passed the law anyway.
My oldest daughter is still a few months away from being old enough to vote, and she's disappointed that the election is just before her birthday, because she wants to vote. I'm glad she does, since so many young adults are apathetic. I hope we've set the example for them. As I said, my vote may not make a difference in our riding, in this election, but I vote anyway. I'm glad to live in a country where I have a say about the government that rules us, and I feel that it at least gives me the right to complain about them with a clear conscience since I've voted.

No comments: