Monday, September 8, 2008

What's in a Name?

Some people, who've only known me as an adult (my husband included), may not believe this, but most of my life I was painfully shy. Emphasis on the painful.
I still have my report cards from elementary school. Almost without exception, they describe me as a "shy, quiet little girl". Most people outgrow it. Mine lasted throughout highschool and into college. Occasionally, even now, when I'm in a group setting or a classroom setting, I can still feel rare moments when I am seized by terror. It's like I'm a kid again.
I think I would have been shy even if my Dad hadn't died when I was young. I was the second child, and as such, I was more introverted than my sister. She did the talking for the both of us.
Also, when I was young, there was a long period of time when I didn't like that I was Finnish (I'm proud of it now,though). I wanted to be like everyone else. I wanted to have a normal name that people could pronounce. (Pia is not my real name). Even now, that name (my old one) brings with it so many bad memories, I almost feel angry when someone brings it up as a joke. Don't even ask what it is.
Whenever we had a substitute teacher, roll call would unfold the same way. Because my last name ended in "A", I was first on the list. The teacher would look down at the list, then say, "If I mispronounce any of your names, please correct me." They would try to say it, get it horribly wrong, it would call unwanted attention to me, and I would be embarassed. Then the whole class, who had been with me since kindergarten, would say my name in unison. I was three shades of red. As the years went on, they wouldn't even wait for the teacher to attempt it, they'd just shout it out. Did I mention how much I hated that name?
I asked my Mom, "Did you actually like that name when you chose it?" I was sure it was a curse. I never felt like that name matched who I was. I suppose if I would have grown up in Finland where I was born, it would've been a common name and I wouldn't have had these issues. But here, it was impossible.
Added to that, it ended in the letter "o". In a town with many other immigrants, like Italians who end a name in "a" if it's female (Maria), and "o" if it's male (Mario), people assumed I was a boy. For a twelve year old, flat-chested girl with short hair, and no make-up, it was not very self-affirming. I once held the door open for a little old lady. She said, "Thanks, Sonny." That was the third such episode that same day. It was not a good day to be me. Did I mention how much I hated that name?
I don't know if even now I can analyze all the reasons for my shyness. But it was a bad time. A very bad time. I seem to be scarred for life.
I can't tell you how happy I was to have two daughters who were so well adjusted and out-going. They never struggled with shyness the way I did. I even gave them names that could be pronounced in Finnish and English. I didn't want that to be a stumbling block for them. Did I say how much I hated that name?
When I was growing up, most families were intact. I was from a broken family. I'm sure that was a factor. After my Dad died, my Mom became an alcoholic (but that's another story), and I'm sure that played a part. My sister an I were alone alot because my Mom worked odd hours in a restaurant. We also had neighbours (bad boys) who used to peer in through our windows regularly. I was very self-conscious and always thought someone was watching me (and they usually were).
Wow, I should be more messed up than I am!
I wish I would have outgrown it sooner. My chance to make a clean break came when I turned 20 and moved to Toronto. I decided I would not use that old name at all. I would be Pia. I was already known by that name since I was 12 or 13, when my baby cousin named me because she couldn't pronounce my real name. Do you need any more proof that it's a horrible name?
I have been Pia ever since. It's on all of my documents, Passport, SIN card, etc. I haven't officially changed it, although I plan to. My Mom's okay with it.
I associate that old name with a mostly painful childhood in a Northern Ontario city; my new name with my new life in Toronto.
So name your children carefully. It matters more than you may think.

1 comment:

Sparks of Ember said...

One of my friends in college went by her middle name, Renee. Turned out her father named her Sugar - one of those "it was the first thing he saw after she was born" stories.

We named our daughter Alora. It's unique, not something she'll ever find on a keychain or mug. At the time, I had googled and couldn't find anyone else with the name. But since then we have encountered several girls with the name, some older than her. Fortunately, it's something that gets a lot of compliments so hopefully as she grows up, she'll treasure the specialness of her name rather than dislike it's being different.

In high school my sister's boyfriend shortened my name and pretty soon everyone was calling me by the new nickname instead of my full name. It made me feel accepted for the first time and, I think, was the first step in my letting down some of my shy, reserved guard. I still go by that nickname today as I associate my full name with who I was then, you know?