Sunday, December 21, 2008

Timeline--1964

I was born in Vaasa, Finland on April 30th. Vaasa is on the west coast of Finland about half way up. There are many Swedes there since they are just a four hour ferry ride away. I was born there, as our Pastor would say, so I could be close to my mother. (Same jokes every time). I was overdue and mother was anxiously awaiting my arrival so we could fly to Canada to join my father and two year old sister, who had already been in Canada for a few months. The 1960’s saw the largest number of Finnish immigrants to Canada, mostly for economic reasons. There are only a handful of Finnish immigrants per year now, since Finland is in the EU and is doing so well.
When I was three weeks old, we arrived in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario via Montreal. My kids refer to me as a FOB (fresh off the boat) but I correct them that I’m fresh off the airplane. We lived for a few weeks with my aunt’s family.

No comments: