Monday, January 5, 2009

Desire

Song of Solomon
Chapter Five

“I have come to my garden, my sister, my spouse.” Vs. 1

The woman dreams of the consummation, and the approval of family and friends.
The lover accepts his beloved’s invitation.

“I charge you, O daughters of Jerusalem,
If you find my beloved.
That you tell him I am lovesick!”
Vs.8

She has a nightmare that she loses her lover.

“My beloved is…chief among ten thousand.” Vs.10

She describes him in elaborate terms

“His locks are wavy, black as a raven.” Vs.11
“His body is carved ivory.” Vs.14
“His legs are pillars of marble.” Vs.15
“His mouth is most sweet.”
Vs.15

Sounds good to me!

“Yes, he is altogether lovely.
This is my beloved,
And this is my friend.”
Vs.16

It’s a great marriage when he is both a lover and a friend.
Sometimes it’s good to list what you love about your beloved. One anniversary a few years’ back, I gave my husband a card where I listed as many of the reasons I loved him as the years we’d been married. These were character traits as well as physical attributes.

Chapter Six

“My dove, my perfect one,
Is the only one.”
Vs.9

Lovely terms of endearment.
Every couple should have pet names for each other, even if it’s only said in private.

“Who is she who looks forth as the morning,
Fair as the moon,
Clear as the sun,
Awesome as an army with banners?”
Vs.10

She is described in majestic terms.

No comments: