Monday, January 5, 2009

Longing

Song of Solomon
Chapter One

“Let him kiss me with the kisses of his mouth,
For your love is better than wine.”
Vs.2

This shows a delight in physical affection.

Chapter Two

“Like a lily among thorns,
So is my love among the daughters.”
Vs.2

He compares her to other women, and finds her superior.

“Like an apple tree among the trees of the woods,
So is my beloved among the sons.
I sat down in his shade with great delight,
And his fruit was sweet to my taste.”
Vs.3

She sees her beloved as an outstanding man. She fantasizes about their lovemaking. It is imagined rather than actual, despite the vivid language.

“Let me see your face,
Let me hear your voice,
For your voice is sweet, and your face is lovely.”
Vs.14

She feels longing and misses the sound of his voice.

“My beloved is mine and I am his.” Vs. 16

She feels secure in his love.

No comments: