Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Ambitions

Feb. 4, 2009

Outside my window...one of the coldest days of the winter. I've had about enough of it, although we'll probably have another six weeks of it. And I didn't need a groundhog to tell me that.
I am thinking...that it's interesting that both our daughters want careers where they help people. Our eldest wants to be a social worker, and our youngest wants to be a lawyer. She came home from school today, excited, because they had a guest speaker from the International Justice Mission. She said, "I think I've found what I want to do with my life." This organization uses legal avenues internationally to rescue people from slavery and the sex trade. She knows she won't make as much money as she would if she practiced law here, but she wants to make a difference in the world. She may take International Studies as her undergrad degree. (She may also change her mind many times as well). I'm very proud of both of them, for many reasons.
I am thankful...that all of the required financial support came in for my daughter's upcoming missions trip to Scotland. Praise God. His people were so generous.
From the kitchen...beef stew and freshly baked bread. Perfect on such a cold day.
I am wearing...jeans and a purple sweater.
I am reading...The Glass Castle, a memoir by Jeannette Walls.
I am hoping...that we don't need to change the date of my youngest daughter's baptism, since I've already invited forty people.
I am hearing...the sounds of my nursing unit on night shift.
Around the house...my husband was home today for Doctor's appointment; long term effects from his chemo. My mom's doing well, no chest pain.
One of my favourite things...keeping in touch with friends on facebook.
A few plans for the week...work two more nights, go on a date with my husband, buy a video camera for our trip. Bring my oldest daughter to a church in Oakville Sunday night, where she will be singing. She's singing at three different worship events this weekend. She didn't inherit her singing voice from me, thankfully.

No comments: