Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Will They Let Me In?

We're heading to Texas tomorrow! I'm so excited, even though it's a work-related trip. My friend, Kathy and I are going ot our second oncology nursing conference. Last year we went to Philadelphia. Now we're going to San Antonio. What's cool about it is that there are over 7,000 oncology nurses there from all over Canada and the U.S. Not just 7,000 nurses, but all oncology nurses. It's such a neat feeling of camaraderie. All the classes are work related and very interesting.
My mom and my oldest daughter are coming along as well, as a vacation. None of us has been to Texas before, except Kathy, although not to San Antonio. My daughter just finished her first year of university.
The reason my youngest is staying home is because she's still in high school. I'll take her with me another year. She also has to look forward to a concert in Toronto with her favourite band, so she'll be okay.
My husband is terribly busy with work and our annual meeting at church.
I would have preferred to take a direct flight from Toronto, for convenience, but we had to get a cheaper flight because of funding issues. There is a layover in Baltimore, and two and a half hour drive before and after the trip. I'm not looking forward to the drive since my "driver" is staying home. We're taking our van and parking at the airport. The price is reasonable.
We'll be gone five nights. We're staying at a historic, 100 year old hotel a few blocks from the conference centre and the Alamo. My daughter plans to make use of the rooftop pool to work on her tan.
My only concern is if they'll let me into the country. I was in Mexico six weeks ago, and now I have a cold. I was in the Yucatan, not Mexico city, and it was before the outbreak of the swine flu, which has got everyone so uptight about travel. It feels like a sinus cold. I don't have a fever. I didn't have a cough, until an hour ago, but I'm not really concerned. But the border patrol may be skittish. Who knows? I hope I'm not turned back. I've been looking forward to this trip for a while.
I also hope Kathy is not worried about sharing a hotel room with me. My mom and daughter will have their own room, since they can sleep in while we get up and go to our classes. Well, it's in God's hands.
I'm packed, lightly, even, so we can do some shopping. The weather is expected to be 27-33 all weekend. Nice.

No comments: