Monday, July 27, 2009

Strike Widow--Day Thirty-Six

July 27, 2009

Outside my window...partly cloudy day. It hasn't been much of a summer, in more ways than one.
I am thinking...Mark my words. Polygamy will be the next thing to be legalized in Canada. Same-sex marriage was just the tip of the iceberg. You heard it here, first. My neighbour has two wives. Yep, really. On the news this week, a Muslim man in Kingston, Ontario, along with Wife B and his son, killed Wife A and three daughters. These were not consecutive wives, but concurrent. The media mentioned it without any comment at all. Not surprising.
I am thankful for...23 years of marriage, yesterday. He's definitely a keeper, and better than I deserve. We went out for dinner to Big Daddy's Crab Shack on Thursday when he was off.
From the kitchen...chicken and okra, raspberries, blackberries, strawberries and blueberries.
I am wearing...jean capri pants and a burgundy top.
I am reading...A Bride in the Bargain by Deeanne Gist. I love her books.
I am hoping... that this strike would soon by settled. Windsor's strike lasted 101 days and just ended. The City of Toronto is trying to outlast the union. Both sides have dug in.
I am hearing...I Saw You First, by John Mellencamp. I laugh because it's so juvenile.
Around the house...My eldest was sent home from camp on Wednesday because she had fever and body aches. No cough though, so no swine flu. It's been going around at many summer camps. She's better now. My youngest is enjoying her job at the Day Camp, although she comes home exhausted every day. She liked her first pay cheque though. I'm finishing 17 days off. Back to work tonight. My husband had only 3 days off for his two weeks' vacation. Now they've changed it so even though he has to work 90 hours a week, he at least gets to come home every day. I'm thankful for that. I think we definitely appreciate each other more. Even the mundane, every day things are better when we're together.
One of my favourite things...hearing my daughters laughing together. I'm glad they get along so well. My sister and I used to fight all the time.
Some plans for the week...drive my daughter back up to work at camp, work four nights. Don't know about the weekend yet.

No comments: