Friday, August 14, 2009

Summer At Last!

August 14, 2009

Outside my window...Me! I'm writing on the deck. Well, actually, I'm writing on paper and sitting on the deck, but now I'm just being picky. I was cleaning the bathroom and then I thought, 'What am I doing inside on one of the first hot days of the summer?' So here I am, writing blogs and tweets and lists and stories, because I can.
I am thinking...that tomorrow will be 25 years since our first date. it can't be that long! It seems like just yesterday. We went to the CNE and I pretended to be scared on the roller coaster so I could grab his hand. Oh, the games we women play! The damsel-in-distress routine works every time.
I am thankful for...my washer and dryer. I couldn't imagine having to beat my clothes on rocks and drape them over bushes.
From the kitchen...No clue yet. Maybe eat out, or make chicken or fish with asparagus and corn on the cob.
I am wearing...jean capris and a red tank top. It's REDFRIDAY, and when I remember, I wear red, to support our troops.
I am reading...From A to X, by John Berger. I'm not enjoying it much, the prose is too flowery. I prefer plain speech to tell a story, but I'm half way through, and I'm a stubborn Finn, so I'll finish it.
I am hoping...that one day we'll live in a house with a sauna. My husband assures me that if we move, he'll have one built for me. I only get into a sauna once or twice a year, now. Sigh.
I am hearing...the a.c. working hard to keep our house cool, and the sounds of the neighbourhood.
Around the house...this is my youngest daughter's last day of work. Six weeks went by fast. She worked hard and made good money, and now she has two weeks to enjoy her summer before school starts. We'll see our eldest tomorrow. We're picking her up on our way to London for a family reunion, of sorts. My mom's sister is here from Finland for two weeks, and some other relatives are coming from Sault Ste. Marie. I'm looking forward to good food, lounging by the pool, and having my bi-annual sauna. My husband has two weeks off. I do, too, except for Monday night.
One of my favourite things...sweet summer corn on the cob with butter.
A few plans for the week...London this weekend, weigh-in on Monday morning, purchase perennials for my husband to plant in our currently empty planter boxes in the front yard, work one night, finalize Carey plans, pack for Carey, leave a day early to get set up.

No comments: