Monday, December 21, 2009

Some Gifts You Shouldn't Give

We have a couple that are new to our church. They just had a baby, so we decided to provide a few meals to help them out. I had planned to make curried chicken and rice and peas, as she's from the Caribbean, but then I was reminded he was a vegetarian. I set aside the chicken for our dinner on Monday. Plan B was homemade macaroni and cheese, veggie burgers and buns. I prepped the mac and cheese and put it in the fridge.
The next day, I grabbed the food out of the fridge. It was already in a bag in the fridge. I told the guy that I had a meal for them and handed it to him. When I got home I opened the freezer and found the mac and cheese I had made for them. I couldn't imagine what I had given him out of the fridge. Was it leftovers? I called around and got his number, and then sheepishly asked him what I gave him in the bag. He said there was veggie burgers and buns, which they ate, and some chicken. I said, "I gave you raw chicken? That was supposed to be our dinner. Your mac and cheese is still in my fridge." I was so embarrassed. Who gives raw meat to a vegetarian? Luckily, his wife eats chicken, and will cook it, but I had hoped to help them out by doing the cooking for them, not giving them raw meat. Another blonde moment.

No comments: