Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Easter Weekend

April 7, 2010.

Outside my window...rainy and very foggy. April showers bring May flowers.
I am thinking...we had a great Easter weekend. Although I missed our Good Friday service since I worked Thursday night, my husband and I had a great date. On Saturday, we cleaned and shopped, then went to see my brother-in-law's new home, which is just five minutes away. They used to live across the street from us and put their house up for sale soon after we did. They have a beautiful home. Then we ordered a dining room buffet and hutch, which will take two months to be built. It will be stained to match our dining room table, which is Amish. We're starting to find all of our favourite stores and services in our new town, so we don't have to go back to the old familiar places. With both girls home, we took a drive down the street to Rotary Park. I had heard there was a nice waterfront in Ajax. It is still that drab stage of Spring, but the park on Lake Ontario has potential for picnics and stuff. We took goofy pictures. Then me and the girls went for mani-pedis to get ready for spring. We don't often get to do those things together. We found a spa/nail place close to home that is reasonably priced and clean. Then we picked up pizza for dinner and my husband's family came by. Some of them hadn't seen our house yet. Then three of our nieces stayed overnight. They played a board game called Apples to Apples. Until I learned how to play it the following day, it just seemed like they were reading lists and laughing hysterically. Then all five girls went in the hot tub, while we watched a soccer game. On Sunday, our Easter began with a sunrise breakfast at church, followed by great preaching, as usual. Our sanctuary has now been painted but the smell is still strong, so we had to squeeze in downstairs. We almost ran out of chairs, which is kind of a nice problem to have. Then we had a roast beef dinner at home, followed by a great evening service. Our Pastor is preaching through Habakkuk in the evenings. On Monday, I signed up for the Oncology Nursing Conference, held this year in San Diego in May. My youngest daughter will be going with me. We booked our flight and hotel. We paid waaaay too much for the flight, but there are at least 7,000 Oncology nurses trying to arrive in San Diego on a particular day and then leave on a particular day, so it's hard to get what you want. We also have a stopover in Minneapolis. Then I washed some windows and my husband bbq'd some steaks. Yep, lots of eating this weekend. My husband and I watched or tried to watch Sherlock Holmes, but didn't like it so we didn't finish it.
I am thankful for...the opportunity to go to California. At this yearly conference, (this is my third), I can accumulate my required 20 hours of continuing ed. per year in Oncology. I need it to keep my Oncology Nurse designation, without having to write the national exams again. I'm excited because I'll have four nights in California with my daughter. Who knows if we'll have another opportunity like that again? I offered to make it a family trip, but my eldest will be going to Bermuda again (I know, rough life) a week before and my husband is too busy at work, although he desperately needs a vacation. Still, I appreciate his willingness to let us go. We are soooooo excited. San Diego is a big Navy town. There's a submarine base, the aircraft carrier USS Midway to tour, and the Navy SEALs train across the way on Coronado Island. Can you say, Dream Come True? My daughter will probably limit me to one Navy excursion, but just being in that town and seeing the Pacific Ocean! I hope there won't be an earthquakes. 35 days!
From the kitchen...leftovers. Yeah, we do that sometime. It's not so bad when it's leftover steak or roast.
I am wearing...jeans, a dark grey long-sleeved shirt.
I am reading...In Harm's Way, by Irene Hannon. It's a thriller about the FBI. I've read the other two in the series.
I am hoping...my work will cover 100% of the cost of this conference. They always have in the past, but now they're waffling.
I am hearing...the train. One more stop.
Around the house...the painter arrives Thursday. As long as he doesn't sing or talk on the phone as he paints, I should be able to sleep through it. Another contractor is coming on Friday to give us advice and a quote about the basement reno. Saturday, 14 women from our church are going to a conference called, Will Someone Please Explain The Old Testament? My eldest decided to stay in the house she's renting and take her chances. I hope it's the right decision.
One of my favourite things...being able to travel after all our 'lean' years. I hate flying but I enjoy the trip while I'm there. Did I mention I was excited to go to San Diego?
Some plans for the week...work three nights. Date night Friday, conference Saturday, church on Sunday. It's a good life.

No comments: