Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Victoria Day Weekend




May 25, 2010.

Outside my window...summer came early. All week, it's forecast to be 25-30 C, higher with the humidex. Not a cloud in the sky, and not a complaint from me.
I am thinking...I was surprised they dropped the charges against the former attorney general in the case of the cyclist killed by his car. I guess there were things they learned about the cyclist, drugs, violent behaviour in the past, etc. But it's still hard not to think there was a double standard at play here. You or I wouldn't have had a hope.
I am thankful for...long weekends. It was Victoria Day Weekend in Canada. I'm told they don't celebrate it in England. We don't actually do anything related to Queen Victoria. Some shoot off or watch fireworks. It's just another well placed long weekend. It usually falls around May 24th, so it's known (to beer drinkers) as the May two-four weekend, as if they needed a reason to drink. On Saturday, we got some yard work done around the house, Sunday between services, we had our Pastor and his wife over for a turkey dinner. Monday, our family went to Rotary Park in Ajax for a walk, and then had friends over for a bbq.
From the kitchen...haddock, okra and tomatoes, corn on the cob.
I am wearing...a black and white polka dot dress.
I am reading...The Sexually Confident Wife by Shannon Ethridge. She wrote Every Woman's Battle, which was excellent. See my review at chapters.ca Actually, my husband and I are reading it together.
I am hoping...my crown won't fall out again. It fell out in San Diego, and it was ten days before I could see the dentist. But I am grateful for free and painless dental care.
I am hearing...the train.
Around the house...my eldest was in town on the weekend, but out and about at church and watching fireworks with friends. My youngest had her braces removed after five long years and has a beautiful, five thousand dollar smile to show for it. My husband is working hard as usual.
One of my favourite things...warm weather. I took a little nap out on the swing again on Monday. So nice.
A few plans for the week...work three nights, send my youngest on a youth retreat for the weekend, my eldest to a young adults' conference, and have friends over Sunday for dinner. They're helping with worship (music) at church.

No comments: