Monday, June 7, 2010

Archery




June 7, 2010.

Outside my window...a sunny, but cool day, mild breeze.
I am thinking...yesterday was the 66th anniversary of D-Day. I was watching Saving Private Ryan. I find myself in awe of the men who faced that onslaught on the beaches. I especially fear flame throwers. They're terrifying weapons. I also noticed that in any movies about WW2, the Allies only have rifles, while the Germans have machine guns. It doesn't seem like an even fight. The Germans just mow them down. Anyway, I do appreciate my freedom, won for us by that generation, so we're not speaking German, or Japanese, or however that would have turned out.
I am thankful for...a good day on Saturday. We took the College and Careers group along with the Youth group from church, to a Christian camp called Fair Glen. We did team building games with low ropes, high ropes and archery. We had a bbq lunch. It was cool in the forest and my daughter received some mosquito bites. It was apparently much warmer in Toronto, two hours south of where we were. See the pictures of my husband and I, having a friendly archery competition. (I won).
From the kitchen...pork tenderloin, baked potatoes, baby carrots, sauteed mushrooms, banana loaf.
I am wearing...jeans, a white t-shirt, and my blue Riviera Maya hoodie.
I am reading...Whispers of the Bayou by Mindy Starns Clark. It's a mystery set in Louisiana.
I am hoping...to be consistent with my new exercise program. I joined Curves again. I'm familiar with their program as I did it about three years ago for over a year. I knew it would suit my shift work best and I know I get results, at least in toning, if not fat burning.
I am hearing...quiet conversation on the train.
Around the house...my eldest is coming home for the weekends for her life guarding course. My youngest is busy with her final weeks of high school. My husband is long overdue for a vacation, but still working hard. No movement on the basement reno. The contractor was in hospital.
One of my favourite things...World Cup Soccer. It starts on Friday. On June third, it was my husband's 12th anniversary cancer free. I remember him watching World Cup soccer in hospital. We didn't know if he'd make it to the next one, four years later. But he did, and the next and the next. Praise God, he's still in my life, instead of just my memories. In honour of World Cup, see my note, How to Watch Soccer Like a Girl, in the section, Much Ado About Nothing. So, I'll go on record that I'm cheering for Germany, although I also like the Dutch, the English, the Australians, the Swiss, the Spanish and Ivory Coast, if Didier Drogba can play with his broken elbow. I "know" players on every team since I follow the English and German leagues during the year. I also have no real allegiances, since neither Canada, Finland, nor Jamaica, have made it to this level. So I can just enjoy the games. Anyone, but Italy, that's all I ask. They dive so much it makes me crazy.
Some plans for the week...work four nights, date night Friday, yard work and housework on Saturday, church on Sunday.

No comments: