Monday, June 21, 2010

Father's Day Weekend



June 21, 2010.

Outside my window
...the first day of summer. Beautiful. Sunny. Perfect.
I am thinking...it was a nice Father's Day weekend. All my husband wanted was to have both girls at home, so they were. We went to church twice, had a meal of bacon-wrapped filet mignon, jumbo garlic shrimp, okra, grilled veggies and chocolate cake. I made him a mojito, which he enjoyed when we were in Mexico, we had a nap, watched two soccer games, and stopped at Pho Dau Bo for his favourite Sunday night snack of Vietnamese noodle soup. Then he watched the space channel without a word of complaint from me. He was a contented man.
I am thankful for... a husband who is also a great dad. He's been supportive of me from my pregnancies and beyond. When I was pregnant, he started giving me rides to the subway. He said he "didn't want my little feet to touch the ground." I said, "What do you think they do on my 12-hour shifts?" He was great when the kids were sick or fussy or waking up frequently. He played with them, disciplined them, taught them and gave real spiritual leadership. Our youngest was saved when she was praying with him. Being a Dad is about more than fathering a child. He is a great dad and the girls love and appreciate him.
From the kitchen...fish fillets, Jamaican rice and peas, stir-fried veggies.
I am wearing...white capri pants, a black and white printed sleeveless top.
I am reading...Under a Cajun Moon by Mindy Starns Clark.
I am hoping...there won't be any violence with the G-20 summit this weekend. My husband is on call for the city's water supply and may be called in.
I am hearing...silence. The train is stopped and so far no announcements. I don't get stressed by delays because I leave so early. I'm never late, just less early. It seems the problem was a door that wouldn't close, so the train went out of service and we caught the next one. No worries.
Around the house...we bought some plants and flowers for the backyard but were only able to plant a few before the rain came. We got another contractor to come and give us some ideas for the basement. This guy is a family friend and has done work for us on our previous house. We know he does good work and can be trusted with a key to the house. We cancelled the other contractor because he never got back to us after promising to, three times. We need to get going on this project. Oh, and I must brag. My youngest got 100% on her mock trials along with a glowing review of her hard work and professionalism. She worked so hard. She wants to go into law so it meant a lot to her. She is also hoping to win the Law award the night of graduation next week. My eldest just started her work for the summer at Scott Mission Camp. She's a counsellour and life guard. She passed her lifeguarding course. My husband is trying to get through the next two weeks, but man, he needs a vacation.
One of my favourite things...my commute. It really is comfortable and convenient.
Some plans for the week...work four nights. Date night Friday. My daughter's prom is Saturday so I have to take her to various appointments to get her ready. Then we're going to our tri-annual dinner party with three other couples from church. Sunday is church. Our Sunday school is finished for the summer so we can sleep in a bit. We may have guests over.

No comments: