Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Grad and Prom

June 29, 2010.

Outside my window...sunny, but with a cold wind.
I am thinking...we had some drama in our city this weekend. The G-20 summit was held in downtown Toronto and attracted protesters and spectators of every stripe: anarchists, communists, feminists, Natives, and others. While I wouldn't deny anyone a voice if they want to speak against a duly elected government, I don't approve of the vandalism we witnessed this weekend; smashed windows, spray-painted bank machines and burned out police cars. Some say the police were harsh, but I think they showed amazing restraint. I hope those who got out of control will be arrested and dealt with. I respect the police. They have a difficult job. They seem to get criticized no matter what they do. Some people even took their kids to go and see the protests. Unbelievable. In contrast to this past weekend, Christians are supposed to "pray for leaders and all in authority, that we may live quiet and peaceable lives." That doesn't mean we agree with everything the government does, or that there's never a time to disobey government. Paul wrote those words while Nero was Emperor, so he wasn't living under ideal circumstances. Anyway, I'm glad it's over. Now just the clean-up. Apparently, there was half a million dollars in damage. Whether the city, the province or the federal government pays for it, the tax payer has only one pocket.
I am thankful for...the grace of God in the lives of my children. My youngest daughter graduated from high school yesterday. It was a Christian school that focused on academics. She graduated with honours, 95%. She also received three awards: Law, Philosophy, and World Issues, which is my daughter in a nutshell. It reaffirmed her life goals to go into International Law and work for the International Justice Mission. We're very proud of her and thankful to God for saving her and giving her the opportunity to learn.
From the kitchen...leftover roast beef and potatoes.
I am wearing...jeans, my red San Antonio, Texas t-shirt, and a blue zip-up sweater.
I am reading...The Edge of Recall by Kristen Heitzmann, a mystery about a woman who builds labyrinths. I'm halfway through it, but not loving it.
I am hoping...my daughter passes her driving test tomorrow. She doesn't feel ready, but I think she's generally a nervous driver.
I am hearing....people conversing on the train.
Around the house...my eldest was picked up from camp yesterday for her sister's graduation, then we drove her back late at night. My youngest started her job this week, and my mom's going to London, to visit her brother and his wife who just moved there. They had purchased our old house in Sault Ste. Marie, ten years ago when my mom moved here, so it was kind of cool to still go back to it, such as it was, but now strangers live there. My husband will have a four day weekend after tomorrow. I worked out very hard at CURVES yesterday, and I'm a little sore today. I started on the CURVES smart program which monitors your workout and gives you technical feedback. On the day of my daughter's prom, she got her hair done, but didn't like it. She cried and they fixed it. The same thing had happened with my other daughter two years ago. Deja vu all over again. As you can see by the picture below, the end result doesn't give you a clue of the drama we went through. I brought her chocolate while they were repairing it, and when I told my husband about that, he said, "What would I have done if I was raising the girls alone? I wouldn't have known to buy chocolate." We had our contractor come in with the contract for the basement reno. Ouch! But he does a good job. He'll start next week.
One of my favourite things...this Sunday when my team (Germany) beat my husband's team (England) in World Cup Soccer.
Some plans for the week...work three more nights, which shouldn't be too bad, since our O.R. is closed this week so we only have chemo patients. We're going to see Romeo and Juliet at Shakespeare in the Park on Friday night with a bunch of people from church. Then on Saturday, I'll plant, clean and cook. We're having an old friend over on Sunday for supper between services. Keep watching World Cup Soccer.

No comments: