Monday, September 20, 2010

Another Jonah Moment

September 21, 2010.

Outside my window...a sunny, fall day with a cool breeze. The leaves are already beginning to change.
I am thinking...it's funny that when they introduced the Ladies' meetings, I specifically didn't go to the first one, because I didn't want to get 'roped in' to leading it. Then I offered to do a class, and then another. Now, I'm going to do a five part series on the women in the genealogy of Christ. Funny, eh? I think that was another Jonah moment. (See My Jonah Moment under the Faith section).I plan to go in one direction, and God makes me go in the other, and he makes me willing to do it. Anyway, I'm really excited about this series. I've been researching and have got Tamar done, and part of Rahab. I don't start till November so I should have plenty of time. I am also surprised because if I could pick and choose which of the women to study, I would have probably left Tamar out. I always found that story kind of disturbing and awkward, and couldn't imagine talking about the details of it in church, or finding anything praiseworthy in her actions. Which just goes to show why we need to study these things. I have a whole new appreciation for her, now. I'll post the messages on my blog once I'm done. I think you'll be surprised, too.
I am thankful for...the renovation finally being done. It has taken two months. Our contractor did a great job. And yes, a Jamaican CAN build a Finnish sauna. We tested it for the first time last night and it was perfect. I've never lived in a house with a sauna in it. Now I feel like a real Finn.
From the kitchen...broccoli and chicken sautee, salad. We started back on the same lower carb diet that worked for me last year. My husband and I have both gained weight over the summer. We never felt as healthy as we did when we were eating that way. It also helps that he and my daughters are happy to eat that way, and that my mom is settled into her apartment downstairs. She tended to cook rather heavy meals.
I am wearing...jeans and an olive green sweater, and a beige windbreaker.
I am reading...A Lineage of Grace by Francine Rivers, in preparation for my messages.
I am hoping...God keeps working on my Mom's heart. The other day she said she started to pray for our Pastor's wife, after her surgery, and she said, "I know you don't know me..." and then started to cry. I told her to keep talking to Him and she'd get to know Him and He'd get to know her. She said, "I've done so many things." She often says that, feeling she's too bad to be saved. I told her we all have a before and after story. I've known people who were alcoholics, drug addicts, adulterers, bank robbers...to which she then said, "I've never killed anyone." Which then takes her to her other excuse, which is that she's not as bad as other people, so she doesn't need to be saved. She's so close to the Kingdom, but Satan isn't letting go without a fight. Please pray for her if you think of it. Her name is Leena.
I am hearing...the train.
Around the house...I was sick with a cold since last Thursday. I missed a night of work. Also, this weekend we had planned to clean and organize the basement since my Mom moved her stuff downstairs, but I had no energy. Now her upstairs room will be painted and my eldest will move there, because it faces south and has a better view than the brick wall of our neighbour's house. That room will become a guest room and we'll re-furnish the office are in the upstairs hallway as a writing nook for me. Our girls are busy with school. My eldest has her placement working with people who have mental illness and abuse issues. She likes it. My Mom loves her place. She hugged me and cried, saying we take such good care of her.
One of my favourite things...having a sauna in my house. We'll use it twice a week.
Some plans for the week...work three nights, shop for a tv for downstairs, a mini-fridge, floor coverings, a coffee table and other furnishings, and some fixtures for my Mom's bathroom. My husband has church business out of town, so I may purchase the paint for my daughter's room and get it started if I have time this weekend. Church on Sunday; I'm in the nursery. Not my favourite thing to do, but I'd better be careful or that'll turn into another Jonah moment.

No comments: