Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Thanksgiving 2010

Oct. 12, 2010.

Outside my window...a sunny fall day. The leaves on the red maples on our street are a brilliant red, but will be gone within two weeks. Then it will be a dismal winter until the Spring.
I am thinking...it's sad how so many people think their baptism is an end instead of a beginning. I've seen it too many times. They may not say it, but it's like they feel they've gotten their ticket to heaven, and now they can live as they like. It's sad, really.
I am thankful for...healthy children. On Thanksgiving morning, yesterday, my youngest daughter (18), woke up with severe abdominal pain and nausea. My husband took her to emerg and was with her there until 7 p.m. They did bloodwork, an x-ray, and an ultrasound, suspecting appendicitis. It was five hours before they started an i.v. and gave her morphine. The tests were inconclusive, and they sent her home once her pain was under control. She was most disappointed that she couldn't eat. I had stayed behind to finish the prep. We had 16 people over for dinner. It was difficult because I was so distracted, worrying about her, but it turned out well. I'm thankful for free, reliable health care.
From the kitchen...leftovers. Yesterday we had stuffed mushroom caps, apricot brie and crackers, turkey, stuffing, gravy, garlic mashed potatoes, whole roasted lamb, curried goat, rice and peas, yellow and green beans, salad, honey'd root vegetables, ham, blueberry pie, pumpkin pie, chocolate mousse. It was delish! We'll be eating leftovers for days, which is fine with me.
I am wearing...purple yoga pants, a purple top, a grey sweater and a black windbreaker.
I am reading...Demon: a Memoir, by Tosca Lee. I'm loving it. It's along the lines of Screwtape Letters and is an interesting perspective on the old, old story. I'll post a review when I'm done. This past week I also read The Guardians by Jack Cavanaugh and The Dawn of Heaven Breaks, by Sharon James, about contemplating eternity.
I am hoping...to find the words to say to a relative I'm concerned about.
I am hearing...the train.
Around the house...we managed to buy a few decorative pieces for the basement family room, so it's a start. Also my daughter moved over into the other room that she painted and the guest room is now empty, waiting for me to decide on a colour scheme so I can paint it. My mom is settled into her place downstairs but needs to buy more furniture. On Saturday, we had family photos done by Sarah West. I've only seen a few of them, so far. I also launched the facebook page for our church. If you're on facebook, search for Faith Baptist Church, Scarborough.
One of my favourite things...GOOD leftovers.
Some plans for the week...work three nights. I'll have a student with me on Wednesday and Thursday night. I'll be a fishing widow this weekend, since my husband will be going to Manitoulin for a fishing trip with our Finnish guy friends from Sault Ste. Marie. I'll be lonely. :( There's a ladies' meeting at church on Saturday morning, then I'm going shopping with my youngest daughter. Church on Sunday.

No comments: