Monday, November 22, 2010

SGF Assembly

Outside my window...a rainy day. At least we don't have to shovel rain. The first snowfall was yesterday, but in usual Toronto fashion, it melted right away. It's so dark outside, I can't make out anything through the train window.
I am thinking...we had a good Sovereign Grace annual general assembly in Ottawa over the weekend. It was a good thing we had already been to Ottawa as tourists, or I would have been disappointed to be indoors the whole time. Ideally, we would have travelled on Thursday, rather than Friday, but my husband is in a busy time at work. Anyway, it was encouraging to hear of new church plants, missionary work and growth in our sister churches. The preaching, food and fellowship were good as well. We stayed at a nearby hotel. I over packed: four pairs of shoes for one night. Best to be prepared for every fashion eventuality. :)
I am thankful for...the blessings of the Sovereign Grace Fellowship of Churches over the years. We've made many close friends and have been fed spiritually at the many conferences and retreats.
From the kitchen...pulled pork sandwiches.
I am wearing...jeans and a dark purple sweater.
I am reading...A Voice in the Wind, by Francine Rivers.
I am hoping...our emergency lights at church get fixed. Only a few of them worked. It's something you wouldn't know about if you're not there when the power goes off. It happened on Sunday night. Pedro Rodrigues was preaching from his iPad, and I remember thinking, "What if the power goes out?" Well, halfway through his message, it did, and his iPad and a few emergency lights were the only things still running. He was able to finish the message on David and Bathsheba, and then we sang Create in Me a Clean Heart, based on Psalm 51, from memory. It was good to be there. It was like an adventure.
I am hearing...conversations on the train.
Around the house...I started addressing our Christmas cards and decorating our house for Christmas this morning. I'm hoping to get it all done by this weekend when we have our dinner party. I talked with our eldest daughter on Skype today. I remember when only the Jetsons could see the person they were talking to, on the computer. It seems so space age. And the fact that it's free is a a bonus. Also, my oldest daughter is turning twenty on Thursday. Hard to believe. My youngest had friends over from out of town, over the weekend. The guest room bed arrived. I only need a few more articles and then that room is finished.
Some plans for the week...work three nights, shop for our dinner party, buy a real Christmas tree, decorate it, and prepare for the party. My seven course meal menu is as follows: 1) Amuse-bouche: baked cherry tomato on basil leaf, with thyme and Parmesan. 2) Appetizer: Five scallops with cayenne, on horseradish and beet compote, with scallions. 3) Salad: Mixed greens with pear and herbed goat's milk cheese with creamy poppy-seed dressing. 4) Soup: Butternut squash soup with a hint of curry. 5)Pasta: Angel hair pasta with sliced crimini mushrooms in white wine sauce. 6) Main: Spinach stuffed pork tenderloin with caramel/ginger/garlic glaze, basmati rice, slice orange carrots, parsnips, and purple carrots. 7) Dessert: Bavarian Apple Cheesecake with caramel sauce, and Hazelnut coffee. Then we'll sing some Christmas Carols. One of the men plays piano. Then I'm teaching them how to do the tango, waltz and cha-cha. It should be fun.

No comments: