Monday, January 10, 2011

Poor Prognosis

Jan. 10, 2011.

Outside my window...cold, with snow on the ground.
I am thinking...my sister's fiance was given a poor prognosis. He has glioblastoma, which is the most aggressive type of brain tumour. The doctor told him without treatment he has about four months to live; with focused radiation (gamma-knife) he may have another four. They don't recommend chemo since he still has left sided paralysis so he's not going into it very strong. They're going to give him a few weeks to recover from the surgery, then they'll begin treatment. For the radiation, he will be an inpatient in my hospital, a floor below me. They're also talking with social work and palliative care.
I am thankful for...having stimulating conversations with my daughters about politics, history, theology or ethics. They're smart girls.
I am wearing...jeans, a grey Henley top and a blue sweater.
I am reading...Embers of Love by Tracie Peterson.
I am hoping...to see good out of this ordeal. I pray that John will use the time remaining to get his spiritual affairs in order. He knows he will die this year. Many people don't get any notice. I always say, if there's one good thing about cancer, and this is probably the only good thing, is it usually gives you time to say what you need to say, if you take the opportunity to do it. He is a Catholic, and no fan of Christians, yet illness has a way of stopping you in your tracks, and humbling you. I also hope my mom and sister would be saved. My mom is very shaken by this, as it reminds her of my father's slow demise after a car accident in 1967
I am hearing...the train.
Around the house...Christmas is fully packed away. We are beginning to plan our events for the new year at church. I'm 95% done my message on Ruth for the end of the month Ladies' meeting.
One of my favourite things...a cold, snowy night + a hot tub = awesome.
Some plans for the week...work three nights, book our 25th anniversary trip to Europe (July), and accompany my mom to a procedure on Friday. My husband is doing the same for his mom. I guess they're getting older. My husband is going to a men's breakfast on Saturday while I hopefully have a pajama day, and then church on Sunday. We're having a friend over on Sunday night. If there is fresh, soft snow on the ground, we plan to heat up in the sauna, roll in the snow like a crazy Finn, and then warm up in the hot tub.

No comments: