Friday, June 19, 2015

What I Like About Being Sick

Strange title, eh?

I recently read an article written by Toni Bernhard, who has been chronically ill for a long period of time. She even wrote a book with the unique title of How to Be Sick. In the article, she suggested we turn our complaining on its head by listing what we like about being sick. Crazy talk!

So don’t get me wrong. I HATE my chronic illnesses and invisible disabilities. I HATE them every minute of every day. I HATE all the losses I’ve experienced because of them. I MOURN the loss of who I once was, the life I had, the changes to my present and future, the uncertainty, the decreased income, my lost career and so many other things.

But I digress.

That said, is there anything good about all the suffering and pain of the past two years? Anything?

Perhaps these:

I don’t have to wake up to an alarm clock.

People are not depending on me (my children are out of the nest).

I don’t have to commute to work.

I can take the required 2-3 hours to shower and get ready.

I can control my diet.

A person’s life and health are not in my hands (oncology nursing).

I don’t have the stress of my job.

I save on commuting costs.

I can stay indoors in inclement weather.

I’ll never have to shovel the driveway again (because I can’t).

I don’t miss any events/functions because of work (only illness).

I can spend more time with my family.

I can spend more time in in-depth Bible study.

I can crochet.

I can write on good days (I mean, less-bad days).

I can read (whether I retain it or not is another issue).

If I have insomnia/poor sleep I can rest the following day.

My schedule is wide open for appointments.

I can prepare slowly (weeks in advance) for any guests.

I can volunteer as my strength allows.

When I have a Fibro flare or Chronic Fatigue Syndrome crash I can suffer without any guilt about missing work/events.

I can clean my house one room at a time, or not at all.

I can wear comfortable clothes.

I can plan meals and budget.

I can see my grandson more often!

That list surprised me as much as it did you! There are indeed some blessings in the midst of this season of suffering, thank God!

How about you? Can you come up with your own list?

No comments: