Monday, October 31, 2016

Thanksgiving 2016



October Journaling
1.     A Caribbean breakfast at church today for Missions Week.
2.     Church today. This rainy weekend is killing me, pain-wise.
3.     Our daughter went apple picking today. I missed an appointment. My brain fog in action.
4.     Our women’s Bible study started again. We’re beginning the book of Numbers as part of our study of the Pentateuch. The woman who usually leads it is grieving the recent loss of her husband, so I’ll lead it temporarily. I enjoy it. Teaching is the only thing that makes me feel a little bit more like the old me. Then I took a nap and made dinner for just me and my daughter. My husband is taking a course at Seminary on the Old Testament.
5.     Visiting my other daughter’s family, and bringing them apples.
6.     Our favourite son-in-law is 29 today. Also picked up a farm-fresh turkey from an organic meat store.
7.     I’m having an ultrasound today prior to my surgical consult.
8.     Beginning the prep to host Thanksgiving at our house. Thankfully I have a lot of help. Baked a blueberry pie. That’s about it.
9.     Today I told my husband that I felt almost like I did before I was sick. I still have my pain, but my energy level was about 50% normal. At first I didn’t know what it could have been caused by, but then I remembered that the only difference was that ten days ago my Naturopath stopped a medication I’ve been on for two years. I was originally put on a cortisol reducer because my levels were sky high and I couldn’t sleep. But then it went too far and lowered my cortisol levels (which help with energy) and I was at the point where I couldn’t climb a flight of stairs or do a simple chore like unloading the dishwasher I would have to rest for half an hour to recover. This is just in time for Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow. Praise God!
10. We hosted 24 people for dinner today. Everyone brought something so we had a feast. Our menu was: bacon-wrapped scallops, stuffed mushroom caps, bruschetta, cheese and crackers, veggies and dip, smoked salmon on Finncrisp for appetizers. Then our main course was organic turkey, ham, curried goat, jerked chicken wings, mashed potatoes, stuffing, gravy, hashbrown potato dish, rice and beans, warm harvest salad, carrots, peas, and candied yams. Dessert was wild blueberry pie and ice cream, pumpkin pie and sweet potato pie with whipped cream, and two fresh fruit platters. We also had all kinds of drinks. We took a nice family picture outside. I’ll post it. Our grandson was too excited to nap.
11. Two appointments today.
12.Visiting my grandson today.
13.Osteopath appointment today.
14. Family doctor appointment today to get bloodwork and ultrasound report results and see what we can do about my pain since the last medication we attempted didn’t work. Not a satisfying outcome, but yet another referral to another pain clinic. That makes four. While in my appointment, someone hit the corner of my car. We looked at the footage on the cameras and guessed who the culprit was. At that point I thought it was a hit and run, but as I drove home I noticed a note flapping in the wiper. I pulled over and took it before it blew away. It was an apology and name and number so at least my insurance won’t have to pay for it.
15. My husband is on a men’s retreat in Niagara Falls with the men from church. I filed the insurance claim for the dinger, and their insurance will pay, and I’ll get a rental car during the repair. No increase to my rates and the deductible is waived. I spoke at the Women’s meeting this morning, recycling old messages from when I was healthy. It was well-received. Then I took a three hour nap to recover. My daughter’s at a Law conference downtown with some celebrities, like Donovan Bailey. It’s a Black Lawyers’ association of Canada conference, so I’m on my own.
16. Church today. It’s been a week since I saw some improvement in my energy levels. I’ve got to be careful not to crash from overdoing it.
17. Got the appraisal for car repair. Now the two insurance companies will take it from here.
18. Bible study this morning, then a Nutritionist appointment. She’s been helping me with my food allergies. I was hesitant at first, but I can eat potatoes and sugar again, without pain. So excited.
19. Going to stay overnight at my daughter’s house. My grandson hangs off his highchair and says, Monkey.
20.  Attempting some early Christmas shopping with my daughter.
21.Out for Greek food with my husband. There was a glitch with the car repair as the guy was going to pay cash, but then I realized I wouldn’t get a rental car and I’ll need one since it’s a six day repair. Back to negotiations.
22.  I had to buy new running shoes. We went to the mall, but I found the one hour of walking, and all the perfume hard to take. I had to nap when I got home.
23.Church today. My husband watched God’s Not Dead 2, which I’ve already seen, so I napped a whopping 3-1/2 hours. Guess who’ll be up late again, tonight?
24. A quiet day at home. Finally getting the car repair details hashed out.
25. We went to a neighbourhood towhall meeting to discuss the planned expansion of our neighbourhood. We are true NIMBY’s. Right now we live at the end of a cul-de-sac, which they’re planning to get rid of. We were in a sweet spot with no neighbours behind us or on one side, but the proposed plan affects us the most, putting four full-sized homes around us. It was good while it lasted.
26. I’m finding myself anxious over things I read in the news online. I know I shouldn’t worry since God is in control, yet I do.
27. Went to an eye appointment and then to stay over at my daughter’s to help her out. My vision issues have improved somewhat, in that I don’t have the light show behind my right eye every night like at the beginning, but I think that’s more neurological than visual.
28. Slept poorly during the night so it was hard to keep up with my grandson.
29. Went to a friend’s for a dinner party tonight. It was a seafood feast. Even with my earplugs in, it was too loud, and their lighting really hurts my eyes. Although it was nice to see friends, I’m not like I used to be and was so happy to get home to quiet.
30.Church today. Our Pastor was away and an Elder preached this morning and my husband preached in the evening. Our youngest daughter came to church with us.
31. Our grandson dressed as a cow for Hallowe’en. Our youngest went as Donald Trump to a party. She had an orange comb-over wig and orange skin, a red baseball cap that said, “Make America meh again.” And she carried around a brick wall. We don’t celebrate Hallowe’en so we’re just going to hang out at Ikea. But more importantly, today is the 499th  anniversary of the Reformation. Next year is the big one.

No comments: