Monday, July 31, 2017

Memories of my uncle, Jarmo


This is my mom's younger brother, Jarmo. He died on July 27, 2017 at the age of 71.
Five things stand out in my memories of Jarmo,

When we were little girls, back when Sanna was still a baby, he used to take me, Sirpa, and Sari to see the car races in the Soo. That was fun. I guess he got used to the idea that he’d be surrounded by girls.

He stood in place of my dad to walk me up the aisle when we got married.

He and Sirkka were amazing dancers. They were a joy to watch, both in ballroom dancing and Finnish folk dancing. They also taught dance classes.

He always remembered everyone’s milestones; birthdays and anniversaries and would send cards written in his excellent handwriting, or later, emails.

Speaking of emails, he was late in life getting into technology, but then he seemed to enjoy using it. He would send birthday emails and say things like, “Happy Birthday from London. Well, not everyone in London, just us.” And because English wasn’t his first language he’d sign it, Ankle Jarmo.

No comments: